Usually, it’s IE7 that’s the problem but there have been two instances in the last few days where IE8 has played up with problems I have never seen before. Usually a cursory IE8 browser check requires a few CSS changes.,
Disappearing images – nothing. All gone. Some considerable digging revealed I could put
into the image style and it would work. The disappearing trick affected any image with a style. Never seen it before. The hack worked. I suspected PIE but removing that from the style made no difference. Examined the rest of the CSS and it appeared fine. The images were fine in all browsers except IE8.
High tide body background.
I’ve had this before and add ‘fixed’ to CSS gradients and it sorts it out. Not this time. Put a plain colour on the body (or the <html>) and it’s fine. Again, only IE8.
I gave up on this one, for the time being but I will revisit it because this should never happen.
Disappearing background colours. This is a problem related is CSS3PIE and when that is removed, voila!, they appear. Don’t know why.
Mousing over a <div> and having the background colour show through. Strange and all IE8.
Thank you once again Bill.
Years ago I came across Mailwasher and used the free version but decided to buy the full version last year. A year later they wanted $30 a year to keep it activated so I told them to stuff it. I only have one major email account anyway.
The change meant that I would no longer have an audible/visible indication that an email had arrived. As soon as ‘ding’ is heard, you have to stop what you’re doing and open the mail, just in case – and it was interrupting the day. Now, I have made a policy only to open mail in the morning. None is that urgent anyway and it frees up the rest of the day for continuous work (or continuous loafing).
They seem to take longer and longer. This one, a development time of about six months.
This is a simple 5-pager for what used to be the KZN Eye Care Coalition, now called Africa Vision and at avision.org.za.
The client offers free removal of cataracts and so, with the assumption that those who read it might be sufferers, the font is large Lato. I can recommend Lato if you’re using a font-face kit. I liked it when it first arrived. It’s easy to read, bold is a real bold and it has around a dozen flavours.
The only problem I’ve seen is with Chrome that doesn’t render certain sizes of Lato properly and makes ‘t’s the same size as ‘a’s and truncates some descenders.